Saturday, February 4, 2012

Step of Faith

 
        The Apostle Peter loved the savior Jesus Christ. Throughout the scriptures he showed his love and faith to Him. One such example shows Peter's willingness and strong faith to follow the Savior.

       After a strong storm, a few of the Apostles struggle to get a shore during the night. The long and strenuous task left the ship to only travel 4 miles throughout the night. Jesus Christ knew of their distress and went out to assist the troubled Apostles. Here one of the great miracles took place in all of the scriptures. Looking up, the disciples saw a figure walking towards them on the sea. In their minds they were scared and troubled. They thought it was a spirit and cried out in fear. While the Savior was walking towards him he said, "...Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid" (Matt. 14:27) When Peter recognized Him, he was full of joy! He cried out, "..Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water" (Matt. 14:28) With his faith, Peter stepped towards the water and started to walk also on the sea. Suddenly the waves and wind became stronger. Peter's faith and confidence faltered and he began to sink into the water. Becoming fearful he cried out with agony and said, "..Lord save me!" Jesus Christ reached out his hand and simply said, " .. O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?".

      

        I always marvelled at this event. Peter's faith in the Savior proved to be very strong. And yet, when the waters became rough, he fell. I wonder if I would sink into the sea. Would I have enough faith to walk on the water as well? Would I also sink.. or keep walking? Would I even take that step of faith and even try!?


     Faith is a hope of things which are not seen but are true. To have faith is to have confidence in something or someone. Faith is not just believing but a principle of action. As stated in James, faith without works is dead (James:17-18). As I reflect on my own life, I think about me preparing to serve a mission. Giving up my job, schooling, and the people I care for is scary. I thought about if I have enough faith to do it. If I had faith in the Savior... and a hope of the blessings that he promised.


    Now reflecting again on Peter and his experience.. I realized something. There will be trouble waters in our lives. And we will fall many times and start to sink. Yet Jesus Christ will always be there with a hand to reach out. Simply, faith is a gift, given to us by our Heavenly Father. As we show our diligence to follow Christ, all will be well.

   Remember the kind words spoken to the Apostles, "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid".

 







No comments:

Post a Comment